I started my website in January 2019; since then, I haven't changed the format or pace of posts. I've successfully posted one new essay (some by friends and family) every Wednesday. Today, all that changes because I've been approved by NetGalley, a platform that offers BookTok-ers and Book-stagramers and people like me with websites about reading and books the opportunity to read books before they're published in exchange for reviews on our sites. This week, I've gotten the green light to start reading these pre-published books.
I'm sure my ability to write helpful, engaging reviews will evolve over time, but if you want to kick that process into a faster gear, please provide feedback.
When I add these book reviews to my blog, I won't send ALL of my subscribers an alert email, but I will work in the next few weeks to find out which subscribers would like me to notify them about each new book review.
Because I read primarily romance novels, I'll incorporate into my reviews the following hot-pepper rating system:
- one pepper: there's some kissing; all clothes stay on; maybe a mention of wanting to do unnamed acts. These are also called sweet or clean romances.
- two peppers: what's normally called closed door, because we know the characters are getting busy with each other, but the author doesn't put the reader in the room with what's going on.
- three peppers: things are getting spicy. The door is open and the couple engages in activities we read the details of.
- four peppers: the activities might involve more people or more kink, and we're along for the ride. Sarah McLain and Jennifer Prokup might call these books, one-handers, while others might use the term erotica.
- five peppers: we'd all call this pornography, as the primary function of the text is its sexual content, not its plot or character development or world building.
Should I have other rating scales? I'd love to see your suggestions. Are there particular aspects of the books you'd like to know about? My first couple reviews are coming soon, so please let me know what you think and what you'd like to see more/less/different of. Thanks for any and all suggestions!